This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website www.athletesafety.org (our “Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On our Website.
- In e-mail, text and other electronic messages between you and our Website
- During training.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by the Organization or any third party; or
- any third party, including through any application or content that may link to or be accessible from or on our Website.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
- by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, or any other information our Website collects that is defined as personal or personally identifiable information under applicable law (“personal information”);
- that is about you but individually does not identify you, such as sports teams on which you participate or cities in which you are located; and/or
- about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, persons reporting an incident on or by means of our Website.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering for educational or training services, posting material about an incident of alleged abuse, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you order a product or service or when you provide information about an incident of abuse. We may collect information when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us.
- Your search queries on the Website.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see information under the heading Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our the Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs. pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Organization, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or for other related website statistics (for example, recording the amount of times certain website content is accessed and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that you provide to us or that we collect from other sources.
Children Under the Age of 13
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) exists for the protection of children, and applies to personal information collected online from children under 13 years of age, including personal information about themselves, their parents, friends, teammates or other persons. When COPPA applies, the collection of personal information from children requires certain notices to be provided to parents and certain consents to be received from parents.
Nonprofit entities are generally not subject to COPPA, and there are exemptions to the obligations of complying with COPPA where the purpose of collecting a child’s name, a parent’s name, online contact information or other personal information is to protect the safety of a child. While the U.S. Center for SafeSport may not be subject to COPPA or may be exempt from compliance with COPPA, the Organization desires to take into consideration the requirements of COPPA in its policies for collecting information from or about children under 13 years of age. Such protections include:
SafeSport products are specifically designed to function without third party access to a child’s personal information. Our Site does not collect or retain any personal information from children except as needed to facilitate training for that student, who may be a minor.
SafeSport is committed to safeguarding the information each User entrusts to SafeSport and believes that every User should know how it utilizes the information collected from each User. Other than information and materials that do not require any registrations or identifying information, the Site is not directed at children under 13 years of age, and SafeSport does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13 years of age online. For purposes of using the Site as a platform to engage in training, Parents may supply information such as name or age of their children in order for SafeSport to facilitate the training. SafeSport may store this information in a secure digital format. Parents or guardians of children under 13 years of age may review or have deleted any personal information previously provided by the child, parent, or guardian that is ultimately collected by SafeSport, if any, to facilitate the training. If you seek to review or delete such information, contact SafeSport at the below phone number or email address indicating what you would like to have done and SafeSport will contact you for purposes of taking the requested action, including but not limited to refusing to permit the information’s further collection or use.
We encourage parents and guardians to spend time online with their children, and to take an active role to protect the privacy of their children and to teach them about the benefits and risks of providing personal information online to third parties.
How We Use Your Information
We do not disclose your personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. We may disclosure your personal information to law enforcement officials and other applicable authorities depending on any instances of alleged abuse that are reported through our Website.
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To obtain information regarding potential abuses in which you are involved, or that are reported by you or third parties.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To allow you to participate in any interactive features on our Website.
- To provide you with notices about services you order through our Website.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- After receiving information about a potential abuse, to investigate the potential abuse, which may result in our using that information or disclosing that information to those involved, law enforcement authorities, schools, school boards, coaches, teams and other sports organizations.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To a successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, in which personal information held by us about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can review and change your personal information by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a correction or deletion of any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we have already acted upon it or if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Security safeguards may include data encryption, firewalls, and physical access controls to building and files.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.